Monday, February 25, 2013

Snow Moon

This is the night of the full Snow Moon. The February full moon is also called the full Snow Moon because the deepest snowfalls usually occur in February. Some Native Americans called it the Hunger Moon because deep snow makes hunting difficult.

<< This is not a snow moon. Unapologetically ripping off RenĂ© Magritte’s The Treachery of Images (This is not a pipe). And you’re thinking, “right, right, it’s a photo of a snow moon. We get it.”

Actually, it’s not even that. It’s a photo of the moon I took in March, 2011, and retouched to look like it might belong in the image of the treeline, so it’s a faux snow moon. I dropped the faux snow moon into an image I took last night. 

Because when you take a picture of an actual full moon over neighborhood trees, the photo looks like this…


Reality is kind of disappointing, isn’t it? That’s why reality needs to be ‘shopped. One day we’ll all wear special glasses that will automatically ‘shop everything we see and we’ll all be happier.

I know, I know … I really need to get a life. I may as well admit it … it’s what we’re all thinking.

No comments: