Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Roof, Again

When I moved into my house, the roof was leaking in several places. I called a roofer and he fixed the leaks in the roof. Time passed and every time the wind blew hard the roof lost one or two shingles. Replacement shingles didn’t match the color of the old shingles, which was unsightly, and the roof grew more unsightly as a black fungus grew on the shingles. I had the fungus removed with chlorine bleach but it grew back quickly. In the spring of 2011, I decided to re-shingle the roof rather than wait for it to leak and damage a ceiling inside.

My house has two dormers on the front. A few days after the roof was re-shingled, rainwater got through the roof where a wall of a dormer intersects the roof. I found the leak before it damaged the ceiling below and called the roofer. He sent an employee to work on the roof. The next time it rained, the roof leaked again. I called the roofer again. The roofer came to the house and examined the situation, and sent an employee to work on the roof again. This time the leak was fixed. That was 18 months ago.

Yesterday morning, I walked into my living room and saw water stains on the ceiling. The problem was the same as before: rainwater got through the roof where a wall of a dormer intersects the roof, only this time it is the other dormer that is leaking. The irony is that the roof wasn’t leaking prior to being re-shingled.

As before, I called the roofing company. This time I got that “doo-dah-dee” tone from the phone company and a recorded message, “This number is no longer in service.” I still had the roofer’s cell number and I called it. It was no longer the roofer’s number.

Doo-dah-dee, “You’ve been screwed.” 

If I find that roofer, I intend to tell him to stick to some manner of work he’s good at, because he sucks at roofing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The experience you had with the roofing service is absolutely infuriating. From your story, it’s evident that they know nothing about what they’re doing. Thus, they cause more trouble, and your problem about leaking roof recurs. I think it would be best to get a new roofing contractor to fix what the old ones left behind.
Hugh Dinatale

VirtualWayne said...

I am a master at picking incompetent contractors. When I couldn't locate the original roofer, I called another. He came by and I tried to tell him about the previous leak and how it was fixed. He didn't want to hear it. He waved me away saying, "We know what we're doing." After two attempts to fix the leak, he gave up. A roofer is coming tomorrow and I'm going to insist that he remove the siding on the dormer and find the leak - and not just pull out a caulking gun.

Unknown said...

It's a good idea for you to re-shingle the roof instead of excruciating yourself from removing the moss over and over again. Too bad though, you didn't got a good roofing service. When getting a good roofing service, it's best to find one that is known to be reliable. Perhaps, you should check out its website first and see if the reviews for their services are good.

Nelson Mcglaughlin

Unknown said...

I hope you were able to find a good roofing service by now. To prevent moss from growing in your roof, make sure there aren't any branches hanging over your roof and keep it clean and dry. There also moss preventive solutions you can apply to your roof. KatchMark.com