Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Burger King

It has been over a year since I ate at Burger King (and blogged about it here). I didn’t use the name “Burger King” in that post. I called the place “Burger Tycoon”—an obfuscation that even today has my readers puzzled. Probably.

After a series of disappointing meal experiences I resolved not to eat there again. And I didn’t for 16 months. But then I decided to give BK another try. After all, people change and places can change, too.

I ordered a Whopper, a Spicy Chicken Sandwich, and small fries. Actually, the small fries are the very same size as the medium and large fries; it’s just the amount you get that varies in size. They should clarify that. (Kidding.)

I decided to eat the Whopper and fries then and there and take the chicken sandwich home to eat the next day.

The food was not disappointing. The whopper was tasty. The sandwich and especially the fries could have and should have been hotter. They were warm, which is acceptable at the beginning of the meal. But even a fast eater is going to finish the meal with room temperature food. That was my only gripe about the Whopper and fries.

The Spicy Chicken Sandwich was another matter. I took it home and put it in the fridge overnight. I took it out the next day to warm up. I opened the bun and removed the fillet to warm separately from the bun. Here is a picture of the sandwich from the BK website. Note the golden-fried, breaded chicken fillet, and the large, thick slice of tomato, and the ample-size lettuce leaves that don’t quite fit the bun. Note the mayo lathered on the top and bottom halves of the bun. Yum!

Now let’s examine the actual sandwich I saw when I opened the bun. (To paraphrase from Simon and Garfunkel’s Sound of Silence, “Hello disappointment, my old friend.”) Note the anemic slice of tomato resting on arguably the world’s smallest lettuce leaf with a hint of mayo. Note, also, that the fillet appears overcooked with breading on top that apparently hasn’t been touched by hot oil. If you’re not bothered by the differences, then order the chicken sandwich and bon appétit.

BK_SpicyCrispyChicken_2

Meanwhile, the Whopper is still a tasty sandwich.

No comments: