Monday, December 10, 2018

Winter Storm: Update 2

The storm has passed and the sun is out. My street still has not been plowed and cars and pickup trucks are traveling on it. A pickup truck became stuck on the icy, snowy street adjacent to the SUV that became stuck last night. He was stuck there for an hour, while other people came with snow shovels and tried to dig him out. No luck. Then someone came by in a pickup truck with a tow chain and tried to get him out. Even with that help, it took quite a while to get him going.

The icicles hanging off my front awnings have melted and now water from the melting roof snow drips from them. The temperature has climbed to 34°F. Although the weather people have said we officially got 9 inches of snow, everywhere I look it appears closer to 12 inches and a perhaps a little more. The weight of the snow on the shrubs in front of my house has basically destroyed them, splitting them apart and weighing parts of them to the ground.

At one point, my Internet went out, but came back on a couple of minutes later. Thankfully, the electricity has stayed on, without which I would not have had heat.

I know, I know—it could have been worse.

Yesterday afternoon, snow is falling, this SUV is stuck against my curb and has been abandoned. It was the first of two vehicles to get stuck in front of my house.


Afternoon today, the SUV is still stuck, still abandoned.


The pillowy aftermath, looking down the street. Still hoping the city will push the snow off the street and put down some sand, but not holding my breath.

No comments: