Saturday, February 5, 2022

Upcoming Visit

My Costa Rican lady friend, Nuria, made plans to visit me in the spring of this year. She sent me her itinerary and when I read it I noticed that she had scheduled her trip home on the day before my birthday. This called for some teasing, so I said, "You're going home on the day before my birthday?!" Nuria was dismayed when she realized she had done that, and she told me that she would reschedule her return trip.

I assured her that it wasn't important. "If you want to celebrate my birthday, we can do it the day before you leave. It's really not important." She insisted on being here for my birthday, and the next day she sent me a new itinerary.

But I was serious when I said it was okay. I've lived alone for decades and I never celebrate my own birthday. It's just another day to me. It's a milestone, a marker, that reminds me (nowadays) of the approaching end of my earthly existence. Nevertheless, it's a day that many people seem to want to celebrate, in their own lives and in the lives of their family and friends. 

As for me, if I could get a piece of delicious, yellow birthday cake with white icing, like I had when I was a boy, I would be happy. Pre-diabetic, maybe, but happy. It doesn't take much for me to be content. 

I haven't posted any photos of me to this blog, at least none that I can remember, so I decided to post a photo of Nuria and myself at the Richmond airport. I took this photo on her first trip to visit me as we waited for her plane to arrive to take her back to Costa Rica.

VirtualWayne and Nuria in the RIC terminal

Wearing masks was (and still is, at this date) a requirement in order to be in the Richmond Airport Terminal. Which is to say, we're not wearing masks just to be stylish, nor to be anonymous, although wearing a mask does have those advantages.

Tomorrow is Sunday and on Monday I'll have to get busy with some housekeeping chores. In about six weeks I expect Nuria to be in my house once more, and I don't want her to be too shocked at what she sees: the home of the single man. But she's seen it before, so she won't be shocked. Aghast, maybe. Appalled, dismayed, and stunned, perhaps. But not shocked. 

Till next time. ~VW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning!

I am so happy for you that she is coming back soon and stay with you. It is time to spend your lives together, because I keep telling you, "life is short". I truly believe that she is the right one for you. I bet that you are so happy.

You are very cautious with your masks and it is very important to be protected, good for you!

Congratulations, Mr. VW!
This is a very nice blog. Have a great Sunday!

TA

Anonymous said...

Greetings

Nice pics of you two. It's very nice of Nuria to reschedule her trip and stay over for your birthday. I bet she will make you the cake of your youth!

It's wonderful to have plans to look forward too -- I'm delighted you have someone who provides so much fun in your life and doesn't mind your mess as you described.

Best wishes and a very early Happy Birthday.

LL