Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Phones

I have two phones, which I refer to as "old phone" and "new phone." My lady friend Nuria has two phones, which she (and I) refer to as "old phone" and "new phone." I use my new phone for calls and for WhatsApp. Nuria can use either of her phones, but her old phone has a Costa Rican phone number and her new phone has a U.S. phone number. She has WhatsApp on both phones. WhatsApp apparently doesn't care about country codes. It works regardless of where the phone it's calling is located. So if I'm on WhatsApp I can call either of her phones.

But when she goes out, she takes her old phone. When I go out, I take my new phone. If I want to call Nuria and she has driven somewhere, which phone do I call? Without thinking much about it, most people would assume "call the new phone." Whenever someone buys a new cell phone, that's the phone you call to reach them? Right? But not with Nuria. I have to call her old phone. Of course, I can't make a phone call to her old phone, I have to use WhatsApp because her old phone has a Costa Rican country code which I can't make a phone call to, but I can make a WhatsApp call to it.

Now, both of her WhatsApp IDs are on my cell phone. The only way to distinguish between them is that one has a photo of her and the other ID does not. One ID is for her new phone and one is for her old phone. WhatsApp can send text or call either phone, but she only carries one phone with her, and that phone is the phone that only works in Costa Rica, except WhatsApp can work with it. The phone she doesn't carry only works in the U.S. and WhatsApp works with that phone, too.

Nuria was out shopping and I tried to contact her by WhatsApp, but I used the wrong Nuria Identity on WhatsApp, so the WhatsApp text went to her new phone, which she doesn't use. I thought that might have happened and went to her new phone and looked at it to see if there was a message from me, but I couldn't access the phone because I don't have her access number. 

When Nuria got home I explained what had happened and Nuria was a little disturbed that I had texted her new phone instead of her old phone. But I ask you, don't you think this is just a little bit complicated? Don't you think it's an easy mistake to make? Yes, it's way too complicated. Maybe I should just delete the Nuria Identity that I never call. But if I do that, then for sure the day will come when I need to call it, and I won't have it.

Fudge!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

Hope your birthday was more simple than your phone issues.

I have friend who has about 5 phones (I know not why). I always chose the wrong number if I wanted to text ---so I wrote Susie (text) and Susie (land line) and now the only problem I have is that when I hit the contact it doesn't show the entire text name on the contact line --it only shows Susie--so I still have the issue.

I just don't text unless I get one from her and then I can reply.

Def sounds a bit tricky to contact Nuria.

Best, LL

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I guess this is a little confusing for you Mr. VW. It has to be a way that you can identify which phone is which one.

Maybe if one phone has Nuria's photo and another one has a different photo, or also if she keeps one phone in one place and the other one in another one and I'm sure both phones have different numbers too.

You are very smart and you both will figure out the way how to handle it. Just giving you some tips.

Have a nice day!

TA