Monday, August 22, 2022

Political Views

Like everyone, I have political views. They've been formed by a life of experiences, meeting and knowing various people, and a lot of reading. So my views are not likely to change when someone sends me an email. But I have friends who are right-wing; in fact, I would say they are fascist-leaning. I'm always getting emails from these friends and they suggest that I read this or listen to that. They want to convert me from my liberal ways to the "true" American ways we saw on display in Washington, DC, on January 6, 2021. 

Now it happens that I think all the flag-wavers that attacked our Capitol on January 6 need to spend some time in jail, and I don't mean a few days or weeks. I mean real time in jail, like you would get if you accidentally killed someone by reckless driving. Remember, they killed people, too. A mob is a mob. You can't point to individuals and say this person is less guilty and this person is more guilty. They're all guilty, because it was their mob behavior that enabled laws to be broken and people to die.

But what do I do with these friends I've known for many years who now want to "educate" me? They ask me questions like, "Have you read 1984?" — (Well, yes, when I was a teenager, and also "Brave New World.") They send me recorded essays to listen to, essays I've heard decades ago. Funny, no one has yet asked me if I've read novels by Ayn Rand or listened to lectures by Napolean Hill (I've done both. Rand was entertaining, though she was selling her own philosophy).

I've heard it said that there are two topics one should always avoid in conversation. Those two topics are politics and religion. Some people haven't gotten the memo. I suppose if I ignore enough of their emails, they might take a hint. Or they might not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

This is an endless subject. Everybody has an opinion and thinking, however there are some that like to persuade others and see if they can convince them to change political parties, religions, etc.

In my opinion, I think that "respect" is the most important key. What happened on January 6th was disrespectful, derision and these people have to be punished completely about what they did.

Excellent job on this post, Mr. VW.

TA

Anonymous said...

Greetings

I enjoyed your post -- I got the memo about talking about politics and religion. I don't think most of us on opposite sides will ever come together and agree -- and it seems it doesn't matter anyway -- just wait a day or so and all things change again.

At least these subjects have been tried and true throughout history to be such that they either brought friends together or tore them apart.

Just wait closer to 2024 and we'll once again test these tried and true topics.

Best, LL