Sunday, January 29, 2023

For Your Consideration

One of the best things about life, maybe the best thing, is the ability to take naps. One day I'll die, and I'll miss taking naps. I'll especially miss taking naps on a cold day with the blankets piled on me, lying on the bed in anticipation of sleep. Then I fall asleep and dream. I dream fantastic dreams that I don't remember for longer than three seconds after I awaken. I remember a dream long enough to think, "Wow, what a fantastic dream." Then I get up and go straight to my computer to type as much of it as I can recall, and I can't recall anything. My only memory is the memory of how great the memory was.

But I begin this blog post very off topic. The post itself concerns life and death, so perhaps that is why I reminisce about dreams, which are that in-between state between life and death. You could lie down to sleep, then fall asleep and never wake up. It happens. And dreamless sleep is a little bit like death, but only a short death from which we return.

What prompted this post is an interview I saw with Ezekiel Emanuel on CNN. I found it a very thought-provoking interview, because I'm at the age where such considerations as those in the interview are appropriate for me. At a certain age, and especially with certain medical conditions, the prospect of dying is not terrifying; rather, the prospect of living is the thing that is terrifying. Then we have to consider, do we take the medical treatment or do we let nature take its course? What are the consequences of the path that we choose?

Beyond a certain age, and I can't say exactly what that age should be, as it will differ from person to person depending on our health and circumstances, each of us should give some thought to this topic. So I'm posting the video here for your consideration, or you can go to YouTube to view it.  

Background notes: 

Zeke Emanuel was Chief of the Department of Bioethics at the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center 1998–2010, a member of the COVID-19 Advisory Board, Chair of the Department of Medical Ethics of the University of Pennsylvania, and Vice Provost for Global Initiatives at the University of Pennsylvania. 

One of Zeke Emanuel's brothers is Rahm Emanuel, an American politician and diplomat who is the current United States ambassador to Japan. He previously served two terms as the 55th Mayor of Chicago from 2011 to 2019 and the 23rd White House Chief of Staff from 2009 to 2010, and served three terms in the United States House of Representatives, representing Illinois between 2003 and 2009.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

To nap after lunch is something that I do since I retired. It makes me feel good and fresh. I don't usually dream but I always remember my dreams the next day.

You are an exception Mr. vw!

I liked very much this interview with Ezequiel Emmanuel and it is unusual that someone talks abut this. I personally think in the same way. Being 75, I will ask doctors and relatives that I won't take chemo. This is very strong treatment and not too many people handle it. Some quit taking right after they start it.

I will continue taking medication for pain, try to eat healthy if the disease allows me to.

I knew a neighbor that got stomach and throat cancer and he did not know he had it until he started feeling bad, weak. He got tests, x rays, biopsy and they found out that he had it. Between the time he was admitted in the hospital and he died, took just six months being at the hospital with a lot of shots, medications, he could not eat normally, he got 3 types of bacteria being there, he got worst. The day that doctors decided to give him the first treatment of chemo, he fainted, vomited and he decided not to continue with this treatment. He requested the doctors to release him and give him something for pain and sleepy drops. He stayed in that way until he passed away one month later. It broke my heart.

Thank you for sharing this topic. It called my attention deeply.

TA

Anonymous said...

Greetings

Great and informative post -- Napping is not something I can do often. Once in a full moon I can fall asleep in my recliner, but I don't have the same results as you've noted. Generally I feel groggy and headachy as well as a little irritable.
I have had the pleasure of dreams you've described -- once in a while -- I'm a worry wart so my dreams generally consist of some issue bothering me that day or in the future. I've often wondered if "inducing dreams" is really a thing one can practice.
If possible I jot down dreams if I feel they have some significance. I enjoy listening to my friends dreams and we enjoy picking them apart based on their worries.
I do pray when I die I just drift away upon a dream -- skirting the reality of my leaving !

You're way to young to think of leaving yet !! You have lots to do before that happens.

Best, LL