Thursday, January 12, 2023

The Toyota 2

I sit at the dining table. I look at Nuria. Her eyes look watery.

"Are you crying?" I ask.

Nuria doesn't reply, but her eyes well up with tears. Hmmm.

"Is it the car?" I ask, referring to her lost Toyota (here: The Toyota).

"Yes."

There's not much I can do about that. I hate to see her hurting emotionally, but you have to remember, she is from Costa Rica, where she always took a bus or an Uber, and she didn't have a car until she bought one in July. The Toyota was more than a car. It was independence. It meant she could go anywhere she wanted at any time she wanted. There's a proverb: "You never know what you've got till it's gone." Now her car is gone. She misses it.

"We can get another car."

She shakes her head. I guess it's like losing your pet animal. Buying another pet just doesn't fill the empty space in your soul.  

I have to do something about this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

I imagine all the stress of all you guys have going on would get to anyone.

When she gets her new car hopefully it will fill the void. I hate she had such an experience already being so new in the country. But on the other hand -- an accident such as she had -- she's lucky to only be worrying about replacing a car. I'm so glad she's okay --

Talk about so many lessons learned so quickly --wow --slow them down. The lesson could be showing her how slow the insurance companies are to handle your claim.

Not seeing her family all through Christmas is enough to get anyone sad. Hope all these things pass quickly and soon she has a lot to smile about.

You are awesome to be such a caring person.

Good luck to you both.

Best, LL

Anonymous said...

Hello!

As LL says, there are many lessons that we learn every time that we fail or we win.

I have been in that position and I feel that we don't miss things when we born in a poor country and you don't born having many things but you work hard to have them.

I think she is sad about the fact that she had something and cost her a lot of money. Money that she has been saving for a long time, and she decided to spend it in something valuable and suddenly she doesn't have anymore and now she has to spend again more money in the same thing. I understand her point and hurts because you have mentioned how much money you have been paying also for her residency.

I don't think she won't be able to work until she gets her permission from USCIS, so it's going to take some time to recover that money but I'm sure she is lucky in the other hand because she has you and I'm sure you are helping her a lot.

She is alive and that is what it matters. She will get another vehicle soon.

Take care

TA