Monday, January 23, 2023

Karma's A Termagant

Nuria got up early, as she does every morning, and unbeknownst to me, she drove her new used car. First she went for her morning walk. She walked to the city's municipal building and registered her car so that they can send her a tax bill. She even registered the car that was wrecked and they will send her a tax bill for that car, too.

But then she drove to Walmart and bought groceries. And on the way back ... I hate to say this, because, she just had a wreck with her previous vehicle, and what are the odds of having another incident so soon, but stuff happens. And when she got back to my house—as luck would have it—just after she had parked her car and the trip was seemingly finished, she...

Hold on, someone's at the door.

Ok, I'm back. They were selling Girl Scout cookies. Now where was I?

Oh yes, Nuria went to the store and just when she got home and parked her Toyota,  she ... she ... she dropped her house key into that crack between the seat and the center floor hump. And she couldn't find it. So she called me on her phone, and I went out to her car and retrieved the key.

What? You thought she had wrecked her new car? Banish the thought!

While I was outside, I was hailed by a man standing on a neighbor's porch. I didn't recognize him, but he knew me. It turned out that he was the son of the woman who lives there. He's been gone for several years, and he was about 18 years old when he disappeared. He was in trouble with the law a few times, and then he disappeared. I assumed he had gone to prison, probably on a drug charge. Now he's back home for a while.

I have a cousin with the same name as the young man on my neighbor's porch. He (my cousin) went to prison, too, for stabbing someone with a knife. My cousin has a brother (who is also my cousin), and the brother went to prison for seven years for vehicular manslaughter. He was driving at 109 miles per hour on the DC Beltway at 2AM when he ran into the rear of another car. Five people were riding in the car he hit, and a woman was killed. The car he hit was knocked across the median strip where an oncoming passenger van collided with it, injuring the passengers in that van. A female passenger in my cousin's car suffered a broken back and ended up in the hospital. My cousin walked away unhurt. In fact, he kept on walking, and by the time police arrived at the accident, he was nowhere to be seen. The police used helicopters to look for him and they found him walking down a residential street at 4AM. Hence, the seven year prison term. 

Karma can be a bitch if you don't treat your life and the lives of others with love and respect. I look at people like my neighbor's son and my two cousins as "young souls." They'll learn, the hard way. As Rev. Marion Starnes of Terra Nova Center once said to me, concerning first generation souls, "...first generations are too busy trying to get themselves out of jail."

Amen to that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No--I did not think she had wrecked her new car - I strongly felt you had a twist --but thankful she just lost her key --that can be so annoying.

I'm glad the laws put people away who hurt other people --even if they are my own family. I hate it for everyone.

You may find that each time Nuria drives away now --you worry about her......this will pass and soon she will get more and more comfortable and you will too.

Yes learning is so much fun isn't it? And quite the pain for those of us who have already learned it and have to put up with the new souls ---

Good post

LL

Anonymous said...

Good morning!

Nice try! You really thought we believed that she had another accident. No way! I think she is more careful now. I am proud of her driving from Richmond to your city, that gives her more confidence.

I'm glad she dropped her house key inside of the car and you found it.

Karma is a b....sorry to hear about your neighbor. Another lesson to learn here.

TA