Monday, January 10, 2011

Arizona

I was watching the news which, of course, has been all about the Arizona shooting. I’ve been to Arizona. I’ve stood at the edge of the Grand Canyon, passed through Tombstone, stopped for dinner in Winslow – where I first heard that great Eagles song Take It Easy. But somebody in Arizona didn’t want to take it easy. I feel sorry for those people who were shot and for their families.

The little 9 year old girl, Christina Green, was born on a violent day: September 11, 2001 (9/11). She died on a violent day. Her short life was lived between two tragic bookends.

Gabrielle Giffords was a most unlikely target. She was a moderate Democrat, well-liked, who had publicly asked several times for the overheated political rhetoric we hear so often to be toned down.

And the guy who did the shooting – kicked out of school for being a danger to his classmates and teachers, refused admission to the Army (too dangerous to have a gun?) – by what logic is he entitled to buy a gun? I’m a big believer that crazy people shouldn’t be armed. But I may be in a minority position on the subject.

It’s a miracle that Gabrielle Giffords survived that gunshot to her head. Let us hope there is one more miracle in her future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well said bh