Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sundown

The western sky was a colorful blend of setting sun and clouds tonight. I stepped onto my front porch and snapped these photos. Strangely, when I look at the sky I don’t notice the power, telephone, and cable TV wires; I just see the sky and clouds and colors.

Looking west:

sundown1

Looking south:

sundown2

In just minutes the sky has gotten darker.

DSCF1158

Of course, the real thing was much prettier and grander than these photos can show.

It was a nice day today … the warmest day of the week. The temperature got all the way up to 58° F this afternoon. I went out and didn’t need to wear a coat. Some people wore T-shirts. But by Friday the highs will be back into the 30s again. So I guess this is what they call the “January thaw.” It happens every January: in the midst of a freezing winter, there is a week of abnormally warm temperatures. Not to be confused with “Indian summer” which is a period of sunny, warm weather, usually in November, after the leaves have turned or fallen.

In six weeks it will be the first week of March. It will still be cold, but I look forward to longer and milder days.

No comments: