Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Weather Coming

A cold rain is coming and it's going to knock a lot of leaves to the ground. While that's true of Nature, in this instance I'm using it as a metaphor. I hope I don't have to explain it.

These maple trees are growing about 50 feet from my back yard. Technically, they're in someone else's back yard, but I get to see them and enjoy their colors. I took this photo in the afternoon. The sunlight slanting through the trees seems to bring out their colors best in the morning and afternoon. There are over 100 species of maple tree with fall colors like red, gold, and yellow. In sunlight they seem to glow, something you can't see in a photo.

My friend Butch who lives a few doors down the street from me is doing some work on his side porch on a Sunday afternoon. His Shih Tzu, Lizzy, is watching me and probably wondering what the humans are up to.

The sky is actually blue on this afternoon, but the sky is so bright it saturates all the color pixels in the camera's light sensor, turning the the sky white on this image. This happens especially with inexpensive cameras such as you find built into a phone. Both these photos were captured with my phone, as I rarely carry a camera around with me. It's "good enough for government work," as the saying goes.

At 6:30 the sky is beginning to lighten. It will be a gray sky today. Weather radar shows a big blob of precipitation closing in on central Virginia. The precip hasn't started falling yet at my house, but I expect it to begin within the hour. The prognosticators say that we'll be getting rain for about two days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fall is a beautiful season, leaves changing and the fresh air from the pine trees are a mixture of different smells.
Very nice pictures.
I enjoyed your blog.
TA