Saturday, January 23, 2021

Memories

Running down the beach in the sunshine, feet splashing through surf,

Playing tennis all day, all summer,

Hiking into the gorge, walking beside the river all day, climbing out of the gorge,

Hundreds of feet above, afternoon sunshine inflames colorful autumn trees,

Arising from bed, early morn, gazing at mountain peaks poking through fog,

Nailing tent stakes into the earth, swimming in a pristine lake,

Making love inside a car when the temperature is two degrees,

Windows rimed with frost from hot breath,

Campfires, hay bales, friends, marshmallows on sticks,

Long walks through forest,

Boat lingers at anchor and I lie on deck in the afternoon sun,

Canoe floats through a deep river gorge, trees hundreds of feet above,

Sweat runs into my eyes,

Taking a pretty girl somewhere I can't afford,

Brakes squeal, crash of steel on steel,

A passenger jet lifts off the runway, climbing quickly, homeward bound now,

Places and times I shall not pass again,

But I have them in my head, I have them now and I always will.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Memories! I like the title and the way how you expressed yourself, lovely! This post brought into my mind many memories from my past.
Thank you!
TA