Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Thoughts

Recently, I've been waking at 3 a.m. despite going to bed at a late hour. So last night I sipped a sleep potion before I went to bed. It was given to me and said to be from foreign lands where mystical spells are used by wizards and, possibly, the Watcher in the Water, but of that I cannot speak. All I know is this potion is reputed to be a powerful sleeping potion and I was assured I would not awaken at 3 a.m. again. And it worked. I did not awaken at 3 a.m. today. I awakened at 2:45 a.m. I'll admit I didn't see that coming.

So I sit at my computer, bathed in darkness and quiet, and think many thoughts, but nothing that is worthy of a blog post. Eventually I return to bed, to lie awake and think. A friend thousands of miles away sends me a text and my phone, lying in darkness on the dresser beside me, lights its screen and beeps at me. I pick up the phone and I have a short conversation. Afterward, I lie in bed, holding the dark phone in my hand. Time passes, and I bring the phone in front of my face and punch it awake. I begin talking to it. This is what I tell the phone:

"The time is 6:13 a.m. and it is very dark, outside and inside. I'm lying in bed, having given up trying to write a meaningful blog post. I am thinking thoughts that are mostly trivial. I'm thinking about Legacies. I think most of us who are mature in our thinking want to leave behind a legacy. We are not immortal... we do not have an infinite amount of time ahead of us. I think most of us would like to leave a mark on the world, to do something good for the world. Instead, the vast majority of us will disappear without a whimper. After one or two generations no one remembers us unless we were really outstanding and even if that were the case they will mostly just remember our name. Consider Henry Ford. He founded the Ford motor company but what else do we know of him, what else do we think of him? He left behind a name and a business but the rest, for the most part, will disappear from our consciousness without a trace.

"And what of the very wealthy? What of the millionaires, what of the billionaires? What of those acquisitors of wealth who cannot possibly spend wisely their billions before their own ends arrive? What kind of Legacy will they leave? What about the billionaire's second cousin thrice removed who squanders inherited millions on European mountaintops and wingsuit fantasies with no thought of earning so much as a penny? They don't have to earn their living because a wealthy person's Legacy made it possible for them to live the life of a parasite, living off the wages of underpaid workers they never knew who are long dead now. I have to wonder, in my own way, am I any better? The world's answer will be no. But I am more concerned about the answer of my better angel. What have I done, how have I helped, how much have I learned, and will it be sufficient when the time arrives for it to matter?

"The time is 6:32 a.m. and it is very dark, outside and inside."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

Wow -- a great and thoughtful posting. I believe leaving a legacy is important to many -- and I believe many leave a legacy and don't even realize it. A quote I love is either by Mother Teresa or Dr. Seuss that says "to the world I am one but to that one I am the world".............personally I want to be the world to one !!

Of course, it bothers me intensely that people with money and the means to help the least of these don't get involved. Perhaps due to selfishness or not knowing of them (which is naïve on my part) --

Often I think of the waves that crash upon the sand and gently roll and fold back into themselves -- I find I must let go of worrying about the greedy and selfish people and let those emotions wash to the waves underside and roll away.

There are some advocate groups whom are successful in their efforts obtaining help for various groups. Which is great of course--but in the scheme of things -it's a drop of water to the ocean of needs of all !!

If you were to disappear today -- I shall always remember you (that is --as long as my old memory holds out) for your willingness and patience to help solve puzzles, questions, issues that may mean nothing to you --but to the person with the question --it's everything !!!! And you do it with such style !!

I wish you the best as you figure out exactly how you want to be remembered and by whom !!

Have a special Tuesday -- because you are a very special person !!



Anonymous said...

You already is leaving a legacy to us, all your exeperiences, knowledge, wisdom that you have been witten in your blogs. Others, the only thing they leave is money that they don't want to spend and also don't want to share or donate, others missery and others are forgotten. It depends of how you have been in your life time, that will be your reward or your punishment at the end. I personally appreciate what you have been teaching me with all your knowledge.
Thank you
TA