Sunday, February 28, 2021

Internal Compass

Of late, I wonder what has happened to people's internal compass. I'm talking about that little voice in your head that tells you right and wrong. I have one, and I thought everyone had one, even if they didn't listen to it.

But then the Debacle in DC happened, and I saw many otherwise normal Americans lose their internal compass. They broke doors and windows and attacked police. They participated in murder. All of the crowd in DC who attacked the Capitol are accomplices and conspirators in the commission of murder.

My internal compass and, perhaps, a watchful guardian angel, have kept me on the straight and narrow. That's how I see it. There have been times when I might have gone off the rails. But that didn't happen. Not because I never did anything stupid — I just never did anything that stupid. That's called having an internal compass.

How do people let themselves be brainwashed, or radicalized — choose your label — into doing something evil while thinking that it is not only good but necessary? I never understood Nazi Germany or how decent people could choose such a horrible path, but I understand it now. I'm not saying that what happened here and what happened in the German Reich are anywhere near equivalent. Certainly they're not. But watching the Capitol rioters left me with some insight into just how far people will go to have their way.

Recently there was an event in Florida called CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) at which Donald Trump made an appearance. They also had a "golden" Donald Trump statue. As Trump spoke, the audience interrupted his speech to shout "We love you!" again and again. It was almost Biblical. It really reminded me of the Hebrews who worshiped the Golden Calf.

Trump has sued and been sued so many times, there is a Wikipedia article listing his lawsuits. He twice lost the popular vote for president, never broke 50% approval, lost the House and the Senate, and may yet go to prison for criminal activities that are currently under investigation. He encouraged an insurrection that failed but may send many of his people to prison. Yet his followers worship him.

People get what they deserve. Karma is real. My advice is: be a responsible human being. Listen to your internal compass. And if you choose to do something really, really stupid, think twice before you (a) video yourself doing it and (b) put the video online for the world to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. VW, God has given to all of us an internal compass, unfortunately there are many that ignore theirs and do wrong or bad things. I also will say that evil has taken their souls that is why they don't listen themselves. There are many bad things happening in this world and there will be more and more because that is written in the Bible, believe it or not and there is nothing we can do about it. I am glad that you, me and others still listen to our internal compass and do the right thing. Keep your inner compass straight and your angels will protect you always
Excellent blog!
TA