Thursday, February 11, 2021

Season of Malaise

"And Winter slumbering in the open air,
Wears on his smiling face a dream of Spring!"
excerpt from "Work Without Hope" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Those lines of poetry floated through my brain as I assembled a ham sandwich in my kitchen. I had been online, studying Spanish with my tutor, and I needed to take a break for midday nourishment. After lunch I returned to my computer and resumed the lesson until 5pm. At that point I quit the lesson in order to eat a small supper. Tonight, supper was two bowls of Brunswick stew.

It's gloomy outside, as it has been all day. The sun is setting and darkness will be here soon. I will take more Spanish lessons before I quit for the day. I'd like to go to bed early tonight. When I stay up late I want to sleep late, and that is not something I want to make a habit of doing. I manage to squeeze in an hour of TV entertainment each week. I watch NCIS (the original, not the spinoffs) when I remember it's coming on TV. But I'll watch no TV entertainment tonight.

I call this time the season of malaise. Not only is it often cloudy, cold, and raining, but there's a pandemic out there. If only Coleridge were alive today, he would be writing a poem about this pandemia, in which emotions often mirror the weather.

Yet, I know that Spring will come. Winter will go back into hiding, the birds and bees will return and the amaranth will bloom again. We can pretend, for a while, that we are in a normal world, even if we are not. Especially if we are not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buen día! Excellent job. You have learned Spanish and I have been learning more vocabulary from your blogs. You use words that are unknown to me, so I look them at Google or my dictionary and try to memorize them. Thank you.
Spring is around the corner and I love it. Everything smell fresh, I love to see the trees and flowers blooming, evrything looks alive but is sad to know that many times to have to pretend that everything is perfect, but at least this keep us with hope and alive.
Thank you for this beautiful blog!
TA

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this lovely blog and heart-speaking these times and feelings for some us who cannot. You, your blog and your sad, gentle, and hopeful expressions give rise to folks who appreciate a boost when they thought they only wanted to rest a bit beyond resting.