Thursday, October 28, 2021

Responsibilty

There was recently a tragedy on the set of a movie titled Rust. The actor Alec Baldwin shot and killed the movie's cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and he shot and wounded the movie's director, Joel Souza. 

I've never been on a movie set and I don't know how they do things. But I've handled and fired handguns. It's easy to determine if a handgun is loaded with real ammo or dummy ammo. It's easy to determine if the barrel is clear of any object that could be fired out of it by a dummy cartridge. If someone handed me a handgun on a movie set and requested that I shoot at someone on the set, I would check the gun for live ammo before I used it. But then, I don't trust anyone. (See earlier blog post, "The Boy on the Fence.") People make mistakes, so there are rules to make the film set safer. Even with the rules, a danger remains. People might forget to do a check, or misunderstand what another person tells them, or decide to skip a procedure because they know "for certain" that the gun isn't loaded when, in reality, it is.

People are rushing to Alec Baldwin's defense and are saying it's not his fault that two people were shot. If they mean it wasn't his intent to shoot them, I'm sure they are correct. But when it comes to responsibility, I have to disagree. I think Baldwin bears some blame, if not legally, then morally. If I were the last person in a chain of people handling the gun, then I would have the last opportunity to check the gun. Before I shoot it at someone, I want to know what is in that gun. Is the barrel clear? Is it loaded with dummy ammo? I don't want to take someone's word for it. Let me check it one more time. That's what Baldwin should have done. 

There really is no excuse for people being shot by real bullets on a movie set. It happens when people are careless, or don't know the rules, or don't follow the rules. Someone, somewhere, somehow, didn't follow the rules, and Baldwin was the last person in the chain of people who handled the gun. Maybe it's only me, but I wouldn't fire a gun—a gun that someone handed me—at another human being, without checking that gun myself to determine it was safe to fire.

If I fired a gun, and I injured or killed someone, even if it was because of another person's negligence, I would feel responsible for that injury or death. I'm sure Alec Baldwin feels responsible for the death of that cinematographer. Regardless of the rules on the set, he fired the bullet that killed her. That did not have to happen, and it should not have happened. The union workers had already walked off the set because, they said, it was unsafe. That walk-off should have been a red flag to stop and do some self-examination on the set. This kind of event should never happen again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning. Responsibity is a strong word that many humans ignore. "You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today" Abraham Lincoln
Agree with you, Mr. VW and you chose a perfect subject for your blog. Thank you
TA

Anonymous said...

Greetings

Love the blog and story about the shooting. First of all -- in American movies guns are a staple unlike many other coountries movies.

I was not shocked to read about it and have seen several plays/movies where the bullets were replaced with intent to kill. I agree rules should be followed to prevent this--I would never know if a gun was loaded should I pick one up --

My opinion is due to the world situation being turned upside down due to Covid -- everything has changed. Companies are closing with signs on their doors saying they cannot find help. People are getting Hep A because the people hired are encouraged to work sick etc. People are working at home with slackening rules for confidentiality. The gov't websites are being hacked and protocols are not being followed. Agencies are God-awful due to skeletal crews making huge mistakes.

I think movie props, objects used --things like clothing, makeup etc. could easily be tampered with if someone wishes another harm.

This accident could easily have been caused by a disgruntled employee who was in the group that walked off -- to prove the groups point of safety issues not being followed. Otherwise--maybe it would be a moot point to onlookers.

My take on this is that no real bullets should be anywhere near a movie set --- but like I say people love all the killings, explosions and then the headlines !!

Also, things happen so quickly on a set -- I've been on one and it wouldn't be hard to change something -- just watch 007 !!

Sad indeed !! and one for Scotland Yard -- or NCIS --- or it could have been an inside job with intent ---goodness I hope the police get to the bottom of it --what a tragedy -- just like the person who died at the hands of a man with Hep A in the restaurant who didn't follow the health rules.

LL