Monday, January 3, 2022

Snow Day

Today is Monday, January 3rd. I intended to post a blog for January 1, but it was New Year's Day. Who works on New Year's Day?

Then I was going to write a blog for January 2nd, but that was Sunday. Certain religions believe that we'll be in trouble with the Big Guy if we work on Sunday. I didn't want to take that chance, therefore, I couldn't write a blog on that day.

So today rolled around: Tuesday. It rained all night, and cold air moved in, and by morning the rain had turned to snow. Then around noon, or maybe a little before, the electricity went off. It's one of those things that happens during winter in my little city. Snow and (it's added weight) brings down limbs and power lines. The last time the power went off, it was off for about 24 hours. My house depends on electricity for heat. The electricity turns a motor that pumps fuel and air into a combustion chamber where it burns and heats water, which another electric motor pumps through radiators throughout the house. When the power goes off, those electric motors stop spinning and the house begins cooling.

Fortunately, the outage lasted only a few hours. I heard the electricity come back on—I heard the boiler in the basement begin roaring. I had to set the time on a couple of clocks but that was a very minor inconvenience. I watch the news and I know that people in some parts of the country are having a very rough time with the cold weather. 

Snow made the yards (gardens) in my city white, but in the afternoon the snow ended and the sun came out and shone bright in a blue sky. 

According to the National Weather Service, tonight's low for my small city is supposed to be 13°F  (-10°C). Tomorrow will warm up to 36°F. That sounds cold but at least it's above freezing. I've seen many a winter day where the high temperature for the day never got above 25°F (-4°C) and the overnight low got down to -8°F (-22°C). I feel sorry for the critters who live outside, but I guess they have ways to survive. They make dens or burrows or they fly south. Some of them hibernate and sleep away the cold.

I hope all my readers are in comfortable houses to sleep this night away. ¡Buenas noches!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year !!

So glad you came out of hibernation -- sorry about the power but hope you remained warm enough.

Your blog reminds us we are not in the worst of winter yet !!

Stay warm and thanks for the blog.

LL