Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year’s Eve

Today is New Year’s Eve. It’s already next year in some places, like Aussie-land and Kiwi-land. But it’s still 2010 in my little part of the world. Which can mean only one thing: tomorrow is New Year’s Day.

Tradition dictates that the holiday season from Thanksgiving to the New Year is a time of over-indulgence. We eat too much; we drink too much. This year, I certainly have done my part to uphold that tradition. In fact, I got a head start on over-indulging on a trip to Florida in October. On the road, as we all know, dietary restrictions go out the window.

The good thing about New Year’s Eve is we’re still in the window of over-indulgence. We’re still, just barely, between Thanksgiving and the New Year. We can over-consume without a guilty conscience. Heck, over-consumption is expected. I’m not sure if the official holiday window for over-indulgence closes tonight or tomorrow night, but for me it will be tonight. If New Year’s resolutions are to mean anything at all, I can’t start breaking them on the first day of the New Year.

So “eat, drink, and be merry” is my motto for the day, for tomorrow is the New Year. Tomorrow I’ll be different; I’ll be better. Tomorrow I’ll hew to my diet; I’ll eat less, I’ll eat better, I’ll drink less, I’ll get exercise. I’ll meditate twice a day and strive to be a better person. I’ll read more books and watch less TV. I’ll be greener, I’ll hug a tree. Tomorrow is the day I get to say “I haven’t had one drink or eaten one bite of high-fat, high-carb food all year!”, and it will be true.

Well, it will be true for a little while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all true except if you are celebrating on New Year's Day....guess we can't count the first day...new rules for this year! getting too old to stay up till midnight on the eve. bjh