Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sia

At 3 AM there’s not much to do except watch infomercials or listen to music. I can’t believe I’ve never posted a link to Sia’s beautiful and soulful love song, Breathe Me. How many times have I heard that song in a TV show! HBO’s Six Feet Under played it at the end of the series finale, as Claire Fisher drove down the highway to meet her future, and as the show looked ahead to see the future of each character. What a great way to end a TV series! (Speaking of Six Feet Under, over 22,000 IMDb voters have rated it 9.2 out of 10. That’s close to perfect.) The images in this video (embedded below) are not of Sia; they’re of Fiona Apple. I think Fiona has a waif-like vulnerability that fits well with this song. If you want to see Sia, watch the official video (after a short commercial). Frankly, I’ve never liked the official video. I’ve never even been able to watch the entire video. It’s seems frantic, as though it might have been conceived and directed by someone on meth. All the little Polaroids flying off-screen are just too distracting and make me feel disconnected from the artist. Another reason to watch the Sia/Fiona version: on-screen lyrics. And finally, I’ll mention this: someone put clips of Britney Spears into a video with Sia’s music on the sound track. I’m not a Britney fan but I think the clips work well with the words and tone of the music. If you are a Britney fan, you’ll like this video.

No comments: