Sunday, October 4, 2020

Jay and the Americans

It was late on a Saturday night and I was scrolling stations on the TV when suddenly I saw a pair of boobs waving at me. It was a bra commercial and the name of the bra was CaraMia Bra.

The name took me back to the 1960s to a song called Cara Mia and a rock band called Jay and the Americans. I liked the song. Once upon a time I had the song on vinyl. I probably still have it, somewhere in a box of old LPs.

The song was published in 1954 and was a UK #1 hit for English singer David Whitfield and in 1965 was a US #4 hit for Jay and the Americans. Cara Mia means “my beloved” in Italian.

And so, because I saw a 5 second clip of a bra commercial, I have made this oldie the song of the day—1965's Cara Mia by Jay and the Americans with vocals by David "Jay" Black.

Jay Black is 81 now, and he was almost 80 at his most recent performance. Here is a video of Jay performing Cara Mia circa 2011, according to the video’s YouTube title. Time takes its toll, but time hasn’t stolen his voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey
Isn't it weird how one thing you see or hear can bring up old memories --both good and bad. The bad ones are called PTSD aren't they? What are the good ones called?

Now I will remember what my beloved means in Spanish.

LL