Sunday, October 25, 2020

Sunday Morning

Rain fell last night and the morning is gray and a little foggy. We have a respite from the rain at the moment, but it will return by noon, so sayeth the weather prognosticators. (And to my non-native-born readers, let me state that you must be a native English speaker to know when you can get away with using an archaic, third-person singular simple present indicative form of verb. And likewise with "verily" which sometimes precedes the aforementioned verb.)

The National Weather Service reports the temperature is 53°F. My phone reports the temperature is 67°. I need a tiebreaker (though we don't have a tie here, but I don't know what the applicable noun would be in this situation), so I checked Weather Underground and it reports 53°. Should I settle for two out of three? I moved on to Accuweather and received another reading of 53°. I understand it's entirely possible that Weather Underground and Accuweather retrieve their temperature readings from the same source: namely, the NWS. So perhaps a fifth reading is in order. But from what source? How about my small city's EOC: the Emergency Operations Center. (It's really just Alice Foss at the switchboard and she can connect you with Chief Mattocks, and if he's tied up you'll get his deputy Norman Jonas. If you have a fire, just tell Alice it's a fire.)

I called the EOC but no one answered the switchboard (Alice is probably sleeping late today, as it's a good day for that) so I moved on to The Weather Channel, and it says the local temperature is 52°, so I think it's safe to say my phone is full of it. I wonder where does my phone get the temperature? (I just checked my phone again and now it says 54°. Go figure.)

When I opened the blog editor, I was planning to write about a really deep topic. I had in mind writing something about Free Speech. I can still use that as the title of this blog post, although such a title would be rather pointless now. So instead, I think I'll call this post simply, "Sunday Morning." Because today is Sunday. Did I not mention that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha -- feeling light today I see -- I believe the phones have to be turned off and on and shook upside down to get it right.

Now was it a Sunday morning post, a weather post or an English lesson?

Nevertheless, always enjoy your take on words.

Thanks for sharing.

LL

Unknown said...

I like from time to time some foggy and rainy days, specially when I have no plans to go out. Devices are difficult to understand but they are part of our technology.
Good search VW!
Thank you for sharing it