Saturday, October 31, 2020

Countdown: 2 Days


 Vote!


Ordinary Americans don't have a lot of power over their government, except for that one day that politicians fear: election day. Vote them in; vote them out. Express yourself!


It's a semi-sunny, late afternoon in central Virginia. The weak sun comes and goes. It's also Halloween, though I doubt there will be many, if any, trick-or-treaters. I never buy candy to give to trick-or-treaters. Because I have no will power. If I bought candy, there would be none left when the trick-or-treaters arrived at my door.

"¿Dulce o truco?" dijo el chico que tocó la puerta, y yo contesté "¡Truco! ¡No tengo caramelos! ¡Jajaja!"
"Trick or treat?" said the kid who knocked on the door, and I answered "Trick! I have no candy! Hahaha!"

I studied Spanish five days a week for two years, but that was a hundred years ago, and all I remember today is "¡No más!" That's not entirely true, of course. But I do know Spanish class taught me things that are questionable. 

Do I say, "¿Cómo estás?" or "¿Cómo está?" 

Should I say, "¿Cómo está usted?" (as I was taught) or is that too formal? 

How about "¿Qué tal?" or is that too informal?

The truth is, it doesn't matter; they'll know what I mean. But I want to get it right. If I'm saying it wrong, I would at least like to know I'm saying it wrong.

My friend in Central America texted me "Very good" and I responded "Mucho bueno", which I knew was wrong but couldn't think of the right word. And she responded "Muy bueno" which I recognized as the right way to say it. But she understood me, and that is the most important thing.

After I become fluent in Spanish, I want to become fluent in Mandarin Chinese and possibly Cantonese. I'd like to know what those workers in Chinese restaurants are saying about me and the other customers. Then I could say to them, "嘿,別再說我了 !"

I'll insist that all my friends learn Chinese and we'll walk around town speaking Chinese and smiling at people. If people speak to us, we'll wave back and answer them in Chinese. That should be fun.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a good memory, you still remember words in spanish. I think you will survive in any Latin American country. Persistence and willingness are your stronger virtues.
Good job
TA