Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Day the Music Died

A week ago a hard drive died, and my music collection was gone with the wind. Tunes, music videos, and much more are now locked forever on the magnetic platters inside that Western Digital drive. That’s one advantage CDs have. Your CD collection doesn’t disappear like dust in the wind if your CD player dies.

I’ve always been less a fan of particular artists and more a fan of music that I like, regardless of who records it, and I like a lot of different kinds of music. From Pachelbel’s Canon In D, Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring, and Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings, through Shakira’s jazzy Obtener un Sí and Israel Kamakawiwo'ole’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow, to guitarists like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Joe Satriani, to … well, what’s the point? It’s all dust in the wind now.

I had many oldies that were classics: The Eagles (so many great songs like New Kid In Town and my favorite Peaceful Easy Feeling – and I was actually driving through Winslow, Arizona, the first time I heard Take It Easy playing on the radio in my van), America (so many hits, like A Horse With No Name, Sister Golden Hair, Ventura Highway – and I’ve driven Ventura Highway between Thousand Oaks and Los Angeles), 10000 Maniacs (but Mary Ramsey only), Cracker (The Good Life), Fatboy Slim (Praise You), Ronstadt (too many great songs to list), Sia (Breathe Me), and hundreds more.

In a way, it reminds me of the time my garage was burglarized. I had so much stuff in my garage that it was impossible to figure out everything that was stolen. But sometimes I would go to the garage to get something, and it wouldn’t be there. Then I’d know. This thing was stolen. I don’t have it anymore. Likewise with my music. I don’t know all the songs and videos I don’t have anymore, but I know that now and then I’ll want to listen to a song or watch a video, and that’s when I’ll become aware that I don’t have it anymore. It’s gone with the wind.

Sigh.

No comments: