Friday, December 1, 2017

Weekend Feeling

Friday night. Cathy goes off the clock and sits down with me and we actually have a conversation for an hour, maybe longer. I've known Cathy for a long time, and she rarely speaks to me, so I'm fairly amazed at this sudden friendliness. Is it an omen? If it is, what could it mean? I have a funny feeling, and I can't quite put a name to it. Regardless, I enjoy her company.

Saturday night. Terry clocks out and I tell her, "Join me and I'll buy you a beer."

"I'm going to Mac and Maggie’s," she replies. "Do you want to join me?" So we go and sit at the bar and talk for an hour and drink a few beers. I have a good time. But when I leave, I have that funny feeling again. And tonight, I know what it is.

It's the feeling you have when you're out of place, when you're with someone who is with you for lack of anything better to do. It's the feeling you have when you're with someone who would rather be somewhere else, if only they had somewhere else to be. I ask myself, "What am I doing here?" I can’t help but wonder if the woman I’m with is asking the same question.

Maybe it’s all in my head. I really don’t know.

No comments: