Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Decisions

If you don’t know VirtualWayne then you should probably read one of my previous 1,483 blog posts. This one is just me bitching which means nothing at all if you don’t know me, and means very little if you do.

I got out of bed and came to the kitchen to take my morning meds. The first thing I noticed was that the clock on the kitchen stove was dark. My foggy brain computed why that might be, and decided that maybe the circuit breaker to the stove was tripped off.

I put on shoes and went down the basement stairwell to check the breaker panel. Sure enough, the breaker to the range was tripped. I tried to reset it but it would not stay reset. It insisted on being in the OFF position.

I came back upstairs and unplugged the stove from the electrical outlet. I went back to the cellar and tried to reset the breaker, but it would not stay in the ON position. So now I knew that the stove wasn’t the problem. The problem was either the circuit breaker or the wiring to the stove. I thought it was unlikely that the wiring would develop a short circuit. It was far more likely that the circuit breaker had a problem. Coincidentally, this breaker had tripped once before during a major thunderstorm. Lightning had struck near my house and tripped that breaker, and had blown a fuse in my garage and had burned out the power supply to the garage door opener. I jury-rigged a cord to a relay inside the door opener so that I could open and close the door (I know what you’re thinking, but jury-rigged and jerry-rigged have different meanings).

So I have no working stove now, but I have a microwave oven and a toaster oven. I have an electric wok for making stir-fries. They will suffice. I can buy an electric skillet for $30 or a hotplate for $25. Once I had a double hotplate and I used it constantly. It sat on my stovetop but it was so easy to use and keep clean that I preferred it over the cooktop on the stove.

Or maybe, and this is a real possibility, I might drive 1 mile to Home Depot and buy a replacement circuit breaker. Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings
What's the difference between jury and jerry? Just curious!

So invite someone over to dinner to grill steaks in the oven -- and watch yourself do double time to get things done. It works for me every time.

You have a gift to be able to fix it yourself --- and this is your birthday month so give yourself a nice present and set your plan in motion. You won't regret it !

Storms can surely cause damage can't they? Good luck.
L