Friday, August 14, 2020

Pain part 2

My previous blog post (titled Pain) described my sleeping behavior, which often involves getting out of bed while I am asleep and sleepwalking around the house. I don’t know what I do on these nocturnal adventures but on one memorable night I changed the time on all my clocks. I blogged about that incident in a post titled New Year 2019.

So I have this pain on my right side, in the lower part of my rib cage. Maybe I broke a rib. If so, it will heal. The body knows how to repair itself. Doctors can sometimes assist the body, but make no mistake, the body does the repair.

Today I discovered a bruise on my right hip. The bruise was about the size of my hand. I’ve gotten bruised before. I’ve had larger bruises, too. But this helps explain the pain in my right side. I hit something, or fell on something, and even after that event, I was still asleep. Not only did I get a bruise, but I also got a tear in my skin that bled onto my shirt and bed sheet, and I didn’t know about it until I saw the blood stains. Even then, I didn’t know how the blood got there. But when I saw the bruise and felt the “scabbing over” it all made sense.

I’m kind of glad I slept through the whole thing. From the size of the bruise and the amount of bleeding, it looked like it would have been painful. But regardless of what happens, I always wake up in bed. I have awakened and looked around my bedroom and asked, “What the hell happened in here?” A friend suggested I put some cameras around my house. It sounds like a good idea, but it won’t prevent me from sleep-walking, and watching the video will probably scare the hell out of me. God help me if I begin sleep-driving. And some people have done that. It’s a real thing.

For my other readers who have nighttime sleeping adventures, I want you to know you’re not alone. And for those of you who never experience nighttime sleep-walking, I can only say count your blessings.

No comments: