Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Digital Signatures

Do you remember the talented and prolific singer Prince? Sure you do. In the '90s (1993, I think) Prince changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol. This was his name:

Many people probably remember that name change. But not many people know that this writer also changed his name.

When I read what Prince had done, I decided to change my name into an unpronounceable symbol. If Prince can do it, why not me?

This is the symbol I created:


(The difficult-to-read text below the symbol says, "The engineer formerly known as Wayne.")

Prince's symbol is a mashup of the gender symbols for man and woman. My symbol is a mashup, too, but of what, I've long forgotten. The symbol is still on my PC. I think it was created at about the same time Prince created his. I've been through several PCs since then, yet I still have the symbol on my hard drive. Even more amazing, I was able to locate it.

My mashup symbol was brought to mind by an experience I had today while trying to e-sign a document. To be technical, there are electronic signatures and there are digital signatures. Electronic signatures are simpler and less secure. Your digital signature doesn't have to look like a handwritten signature. It embeds information into your document that proves your document could only have been created by you. If you do a Google search for "digital signature" you'll find that a lot of companies are offering the ability to e-sign documents.

I guess there's a need for that kind of thing. But I've lived a long, long time without needing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

This post is so cool and informative. I never knew this about Prince -- there surely are lots of strange things people come up with....Glad you remained with the sign of the times as well.

It makes me feel like we're going back to the days when humans just used thumbprints to sign docs.

I'm sending this from my new Windows 11 computer -- finally back online after a few dollars and headaches later. Love the speed -- I never knew a computer could fly so fast. 7 TB of space -- I think I will expire before the space does.

Keep up the good work.

Best, LL