Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The Screen Door Confusion

My house had an old, metal sliding patio door (and a sliding screen door) on the back of the house. The door was old and I had to replace it. I bought a new patio door from Home Depot.

The installers came out to replace the old patio door, and they did. But the new screen door had two holes in it—two punctures. They installed it as a temporary door but they said they'd return and replace it.

They didn't return.

I called Home Depot and I was told they would order a new door for me. Time passed and one day Home Depot called and said that they could not order a warranty replacement. They said I had to do that, and that I had to do it right away because there was only one and a half days left in the warranty. I went online with the door manufacturer (Jeld-Wen) and filled out a form to get a replacement.

Home Depot called me a week later and told me Jeld-Wen had declined to replace the door, but they (Home Depot) had another door and they would bring it to my house and install it.

They brought the door but it was too tall and didn't fit the opening, so they left. They took both the original door and the replacement door when they left.

They repaired the screen on the original door and brought it back, but they couldn't install it because of a bad roller on the door. The roller would not retract into the door as it was supposed to do. The installer left and took the door with him.

The installer returned a day or two later with the original door—the one that had been re-screened. This time, he was able to get it installed. That was on September 3.

On September 19, I received a call from Jeld-Wen, the door manufacturer. I was told that the replacement door would arrive the next day. I told the person on the phone that I no longer needed the replacement door because the original door had been repaired and installed. The caller thanked me and said that the order for the replacement door would be canceled.

On September 20, the replacement door was delivered to my house.

So now I have two screen doors. One is installed and the other is wrapped in cardboard. What should I do? 

Should I call Jeld-Wen? Should I call Home Depot? I recalled the old adage, "Let sleeping dogs lie." I've been on this merry-go-round one too many times. I'll put the replacement door in my garage. If Home Depot or Jeld-Wen can figure this out, they're welcome to come to my house and get the door.

Meanwhile, I'll hang onto that replacement door because I have a feeling that the flimsy screen door they installed is just not going to last all that long. Of course, if I have a backup screen door, the screen door they installed will probably last forever. 

Because, as we all know, that is how reality works.

No comments: