Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Little Light On My Mantel

<< This is my front yard at night. And this isn't all. If you stood in the street and faced my house, there would be several more glowing orbs along the front of the house. 

This is Nuria's doing. She bought the lights and stuck them in the ground. The sun charges them during the day and then they shine all night. 

The photo doesn't do them justice. They look much prettier and more eye-catching when you see them in person. They glow with an intensity and crispness that doesn't come across in a photo. 

I was using my string trimmer tool near the lights and I accidentally destroyed one of them. So I picked up the little solar-light thingy and put it in my pocket. Then I went to the garage and looked for a glass. I found a yellow-colored glass with white lines painted on the outside. Perfect.

I put the solar-light thingy on my front porch and let it sit for a few hours in sunlight. When I brought it into the house, the slightly yellowish LED turned on, powered by the solar-charged battery inside the doodad. I put it into the yellow glass and put the now-glowing glass on the fireplace mantel. It glowed for hours. It looks like this at night.

It's really difficult to see what the glass looks like in the photo, so I took a flash picture of it (below). You can still see the glowing doodad inside of the glass, but now you can see the design on the glass, which I think looks kinda pretty. 


I don't think Nuria has much use for it, but I like it, so it sits on my mantel, glowing its little heart out every night. It's like a nightlight. When your eyes are dark-adapted, you can see fairly well by it's little light. 

So the heart of the small plastic flower lives on, resting on my fireplace mantel and casting its light into the darkness every night. Gosh, it's almost poetic.

No comments: