Friday, October 8, 2010

Lene Marlin

I was at the Bee for lunch. My friend Kimberly used to work there. Now her son works there. However, I didn’t know he had gotten married recently and that his wife also works there. I learned about that when the hostess pointed to a slim young woman in jeans and a black top and said, “That’s Kim’s daughter-in-law.” Then I found out the name of the mother of Kim’s new daughter-in-law. It’s Kimberly.

I came home and called Kim. We hadn’t talked in months so we talked a good while. At one point Kim asked me for the name of the singer I had introduced her to musically a few years ago. “What’s the name of that Irish singer so popular overseas but not in this country? Maybe she was Swedish.” She wanted to find her on Youtube.

Irish? Swedish? Hmm. The only tune I could think of that Kim had really liked was Lene Marlin’s Playing My Game. Lene Marlin is Norwegian. But I posted a link to the video on Kim’s Facebook wall, and it turned out to be the singer Kim had in mind.

Here’s Playing My Game. It’s the title track of Marlin’s first album.


A more recent song by Lene Marlin is Disguise. I like this one, too. I don’t know why Marlin’s music isn’t more popular in the US. Maybe her music is too good.

No comments: