Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Three New Readers

I almost titled this post “Three New Friends”, because I met three friendly people on my street. But of course, they aren’t exactly friends. Acquaintances? Potential friends?

Walking up my street, I meet Beth in front of her house planting … well, plants. I’m no botanist – I have no idea what she’s planting. But she’s hard at work trying to make her house look nicer. Good for her! Beth is remodeling the outside of her house. She intends to retain the unique blue color of her house … it’s the only blue house on the street. She says of her house, “I love it.”

Beth
Beth
Beth was at the park last night for the Night Out event. Beth says the Halloween bash in the park is ON … and she’s taken on the role of being one of the organizers. Good for her, again! Her Facebook photo shows her on a motorcycle.

While we’re talking, a couple walk up. We introduce ourselves … they’re Leslie and Zoe. We chat a little and then they leave for home. A few minutes later I continue my walk. I don’t get far; just a short way up the street, I run into Leslie and Zoe sitting on their front porch. We have a nice conversation. Zoe is outgoing and sunny. She says they love this neighborhood and have made some good friends here.

Leslie and ZoeLeslie and Zoe

They’re buying their home. “We closed two years ago on Halloween,” Zoe says. We talk a little bit about Facebook. Zoe has a friend in Singapore and more friends in other distant places; she stays in touch with them through Facebook. Zoe and I have a few things in common: living in North Carolina, hiking Linville Gorge. She attended ASU in Boone; I recalled spending a night in a house on a mountain overlooking the ASU campus. I wish the neighborhood had more Beths, Zoes, and Leslies: friendly homeowners who like the neighborhood and want to make it a nice place to live.

No comments: