Thursday, October 7, 2010

Telepathy

I stayed up too late, writing and listening to music, and as a consequence I got up too late. I went to the ‘puter and checked my IM to see if my main online peep CyberDave was at his pc; he wasn’t. I checked Facebook and saw that my cyber-friend Barbara was online. Barbara and I attended the same high school at the same time (this was back in the day, of course). I didn’t know her well then, but we recently connected through Facebook. She lives in Florida now. So I chatted with her a while. We talked a little about her mother, who is 83 and is starting to “be difficult”. I sent her a link to a poem called Warning – When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple by Jenny Joseph. One of my favorites.

Why did I stay up so late, you ask. I was writing about Deborah Allen and the song Telepathy. Deborah Allen is known as a country singer who has charted on the country chart many times with songs such as Rock Me (In The Cradle of Love).

Listen on YouTube

In 1987 she recorded a very non-country pop album called Telepathy. The title track was written by Prince under the pseudonym Joey Coco. It’s a soft-funk, synth-pop number driven by synthesized horns. I used to have Telepathy on cassette tape and played it often in the cassette player of my ‘88 Subaru. I liked all the tracks on it and I think RCA could have done more to promote it. I lost the tape a long time ago. (It was probably in the center console of my Subaru when I sold it.) But thanks to Youtube, I can still listen to the title track, and even watch Deborah Allen sing Telepathy. Although, being a late-80s music video, you might prefer to skip the video and just listen to the tune. In that case, click this link for Telepathy in stereo. (FYI, she has no connection to Debbie Allen on Fame.)

Just got a Facebook message from Barbara. She recognized the poem as the one that inspired the founding of the Red Hat Society. Read about it here.

Well, it’s been fun but I’m burning daylight. It’s sunny and 70° and I have things to do. See you later.

No comments: