Monday, December 12, 2022

Entering the Labyrinth

This morning I drove Nuria to the Battlefield Park Auto Salvage company to visit with her Camry. She told me she wanted to get some things out of the car before something happened to them. She named the items she wanted to retrieve, and when she said "my parents' rosary beads" it almost went by me, but then a part of my brain said, "uh, what? Rosary beads? In your Camry?"

I had thought her walking away unhurt from that collision was exceptionally good fortune, but maybe there was something else, too. Maybe there was something in the car that protected Nuria. Maybe. I can believe that.

Also in the car was a well-worn coin purse filled with quarters. I thought that was a good idea—for toll booths and parking meters, a coin purse filled with quarters in a handy place where she could easily reach it. Though more and more toll booths take credit cards.

She took the floor mats and the windshield sun shade that she had bought for the car. She took it all and bid farewell to the Camry. 

The gal behind the front desk of the salvage yard said that if they could station a tow truck at Walmart, it would be busy all day towing cars from accidents. A woman sitting near the shop's front door told me her car was hit by a truck entering the Walmart parking lot as she was trying to exit. She could see the collision coming and began backing up to avoid the truck, but a vehicle behind her prevented her from backing up enough, and the truck scraped her car. The truck driver should have stopped but didn't seem to care. He told the investigating officer that the accident was the woman's fault—that she had hit him. The cop knew the truck driver, and so the cop wrote the accident report as being the woman's fault. Fortunately for the lady, a witness stepped forward and ultimately the report was changed to put the fault on the truck driver where it belonged.

We ended up back at Walmart and bought groceries. We left Walmart and pushed the shopping cart back to my Jeep and put the groceries into the cargo space in the back of the Jeep. A bitterly cold wind swept across the parking lot. We came home and carried many bags of groceries into the house. For dinner we had baked fish, mashed potatoes, and red, white, and orange baby carrots. Then we took a break before eating homemade pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

The wheels are just beginning to turn on the auto insurance. There are many threads that must yet be woven together. I've had an auto accident myself, but it was long ago. It was my fault. But that's another story of another time and a very different VirtualWayne than the one who lives today. I hope none of my readers have to go through the auto insurance labyrinth due to an accident. It's not fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

I like the way you think that something or someone was watching over Nuria during that crash. The picture of the car is surreal -- and her walking away from it.

What horrible information to find a tow truck could set up a station !! It goes without saying the police should look into it -- not to mention the city engineer to see if something can be done. So thankful your shopping trip there the next day was uneventful.

I always knew Camry's were a good, safe car but in this case -- it went beyond !!

I do hope she wasn't sore the next day -- then I would think she is superwoman !!

Insurance dealings are in another demention and plane !! Nothing is as easy as it used to be.
And when you add Medicare to it -- all types of chaos abounds.

Since hearing of her accident my family has been thinking of using cabs/ubers more for safety. Of course, nothing is guaranteed.

Please give her our well wishes and prayers that soon she'll be made whole and get on with the business of immigration and Christmas. It's been a long and painful process for both of you !!

God Bless

LL


Anonymous said...

Hello!

This is a nightmare. I hope everything is going to be ok with her insurance and police report. I think that when is your time to leave, nothing will stop you, no matter where you are, no matter what you do. Lucky Nuria, it was not her time yet.

I know the Rosary was invented by the Catholic Church and I have seen them in different forms, big, small, rounds, etc. I believe in Virgin Mary but I don't adore her.

Very good post, as always Mr.VW.

TA