Saturday, December 3, 2022

Soccer

Last night, Nuria and I were asleep in bed. I was dreaming. In my dream, I pinched someone, and I pinched hard. Then, both in reality and in my dream, I heard Nuria squeal, "Owwwww!!!"

I suddenly understood that I had pinched Nuria and I hoped she was okay. I wanted to wake up and ask her if she was okay, but I just couldn't wake up. I teetered on the brink of wakefulness, half awake and half asleep. Nuria didn't make any further sounds, so I assumed she was okay. I resumed my dream. The pinch and Nuria's squeal of pain are the only parts of the dream that I remember.

In fact, I had forgotten all about it until this morning, when Nuria said, "You pinched me really hard last night."

She said that my night was wild. I was rolling around in bed, and I was talking. That is not very unusual for me. I often roll from side to side in bed, lying on my left side, then my right side, then my left side, and so on. Talking while I'm asleep isn't too unusual, either. Nuria takes it all in stride. But I know I wouldn't want to sleep in the same bed with me.

Nuria is watching TV now. She's watching the USA play the Netherlands in the World Cup. That would be "soccer," which is called "football" in countries not named USA. Netherlands is ahead with 35 minutes remaining.  

I don't know much about soccer. I can watch it for a few minutes, but it seems like the most boring game humans have ever invented. Maybe that's because so many games end with the score 0 - 0 or 1 - 0. 

"Hey, VirtualWayne, let's go to the stadium and watch two teams not score any points for 90 minutes."

"Thanks, but I'd rather do something more exciting than watch soccer—like, take a nap."

But to each his own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

It seems that you have worries or concerns because you have had these weird dreams lately. I hope they will stop soon because if not, Nuria will get bruises everywhere soon.That will be a nightmare (HA HA).

I don't know too much about soccer but I really enjoy watching the World Cup. I hope that one Latin American country will be the winner. That will make me very happy.

Thank you for mentioning it here, soccer is getting more popular everyday.
Nice post!

TA




Anonymous said...

Greetings
I'm sorry to hear about this with Nuria -- most of us living alone have no idea what takes place with us during the night -- I surely hope she's okay --but I imagine she's a little concerned wondering what might happen next.
It's good to see you blog -- you don't appear to be writing much these days. I've only just returned from a long beach vacation and so glad to see a post.
I've heard through other friends how these types of acts go on during sleep and it does seem it can get worse. Maybe Nuria should wear a helmet -- or you --gloves-- I also wonder if maintaining a diary would help you determine the causes -- I also wonder if it matters who is next to you in bed as to whether you would pinch them. (after letting this sink in maybe you should wear the helmet).
At any rate I pray this doesn't happen again --

Take care --

Best, LL