Friday, December 9, 2022

Nuria

My last blog post was six days ago. It seems longer to me. I guess I'm not doing much these days.

Sometimes Nuria (my domestic partner) gets quiet. She did that this morning. She was quiet a long time. I asked her if anything was wrong. She said, "No." Yet I knew something was wrong. Sometimes people don't know how to put something into words. Then I have to dig. I ask questions until I start to feel I'm getting somewhere, and then I drill down into that topic, whatever it may be.

I finally got Nuria to talk about what was bothering her. She misses her family in Costa Rica: her three daughters and her three grandchildren. There is Joanna, her oldest child, who has two children, a boy and a girl, "R" and Stephanie. ("R" is, of course, a nickname.) There is Maria, her middle child. And there is Mary, her youngest child, who has a son called Nick.

I can't replace her family, and as of now, she can't leave the country. She is applying for permanent resident status and she can't leave the country until August of 2023. It doesn't take much to entertain me. I can spend hours looking at YouTube. But Nuria is more of a "people person" than I am. She likes being around people. I'm not a people person. She had a family. I didn't; not a "real" family. She had a life with many friends. I had a life with a few cherished friends. She likes people. I tolerate people. 

(I just went to the door to accept a package—a large brown box from Walmart—addressed to Nuria. She's in buying mode. I never know what to get people. Humans of my milieu already have everything they need and really want. Trying to select a gift for them is like trying to decide what kind of icing you want to put on your red velvet cake, only infinitely more complex. My father couldn't do it, either—make my mother happy. As a child, I felt sad for my mother, who bought birthday and Christmas gifts for everyone in the family but received from my father whatever dregs remained on the drugstore shelves on Christmas Eve.)

I can't make people happy. They have to do it. I'm here if they need me. I can ask questions, but I can't always fix what is broken. Especially when someone is a long way from home and family. When people around me are sad, it makes me sad when I can't help them. But what will be, will be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings
First of all - your post is so well written --I just love it -- you are perfectly descriptive and never leave the reader wondering what you meant --

Second of all -- the punch I got from the gist of the blog was painful. Wow -- what a horrible ordeal -- that's a huge amount of days/hours/seconds to be away from those you love. Was this a surprise? I know the stuff you guys have gone through and just wonder if it was laid out in the beginning that she could not re-enter her country for so long.

Today I spoke with a vendor from Costa Rica --friendly gent !!

But I have the solution !!! The mountain can't go to Mohammed so bring the family here -- you have lots of space -- and parties over Zoom/Face Time can be created to make it festive !! It only takes money !!

Also could she meet them somewhere close to the border?

My heart goes out to her !! I only have these suggestions -- or one more -- find a place to Volunteer that would bring her joy -- maybe refuges or homeless shelters.

Like you I hate it when I cannot fix something -- and I also get sad when someone else is hurting.

Prayers that a solution can be found. If I think of anything else I shall holler !!

Best, LL

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Sorry that Nuria feels in that way because I have been in the same position and it's not fun. I think that Nuria accepted you as you are and you accepted her in the way she is but even when you are not so friendly, maybe it will help if you both go for a ride from time to time, go to a restaurant, get more distracted. There is only one live and to stay at home all day long and everyday is not nice.

I think it's still difficult for her to adjust to the city and people, so a little help can help her.

I hope things will be better and this situation with Immigration ends soon. Well done with your post. I love it!

TA